Media would have you believe that ALL Hereditary Chiefs oppose the Coastal Gas Lines pipeline. Not true. 5 of 13 oppose. Others support.
Here are some quotes from Hereditary Chiefs - hey mainstream media - let's give these folks some air time too!
Hereditary Chief Helen Michelle of Skin Tyee Nation, Wet’suwet’en:
• “A lot of the protesters are not even #Wetsuweten. Our people said go ahead to Coastal GasLink.”
• “We talked with the elders, we talked and talked and kept bringing them back and we walked the very territory where Coastal Gaslink is going. We’re going to give it the go ahead.”
Hereditary Chief Theresa Tait-Day of Wet’suwet’en Nation:
• “In the case of Coastal GasLink, 85% of our people said yes they want this project.”
Chief Larry Nooski, Nadleh Whut’en:
• “Coastal GasLink represents a once in a generation economic development opportunity for Nadleh Whut’en First Nation.”
• “We negotiated hard to guarantee that Nadleh people, including youth, have the opportunity to benefit directly and indirectly from the project, while at the same time, ensuring that the land and the water is protected...”